Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Only for now...

Dear TIH,

I'm putting you to bed tonight the same way I always have since the first night you came home with us. Last year at this time, I was sure that it would only be a matter of months before our bedtime routine would change.  I figured that once you got used to the fact that you didn't physically need me to be there with you for you to go to bed, that you'd be falling asleep on your own in no time at all.

I was wrong.
Here we are, on the night before you turn two, and I'm rocking you to sleep just like I have for the last 731 days.  It's a little different now, sure.  And now, we have the luxury of daddy stepping in to take my place every once in awhile.  But, for the most part, I haven't missed more than a handful of bedtimes in the past two years.

But, can I make a confession?

I'm okay with that.

I know I shouldn't let you drink a cup of milk until you fall asleep.  I know I shouldn't respond to your pleas for "One more!" reading of Goodnight, Moon.  I know I should encourage independent sleep behavior and that I should set you down in your crib before you're even all the way asleep.  Shoot, I probably should have plans in place to upgrade you to a toddler bed by now.

But, I do, and I will, and I don't, and I haven't.

And, I'm okay with that.

You see, I know I won't be able to do this forever.
At some point, both of us are not going to fit into this rocking chair.  (In fact, sometimes I wonder if this is already happening.)  At some point, you won't even really like for me to hold you. (Sometimes I wonder if this is happening already too.)

Eventually, you'll be too heavy for my arms to hold comfortably.  Eventually, the thought of having a cup of milk to go to sleep might even be kind of gross to you.

With every moment that passes, we're getting closer to the ones where you really won't need me to do as many things for you anymore.  So, tonight I'm rocking you to sleep.

I won't be able to rock you forever.
So, on the eve of your second birthday, I'm just happy that I still can.

Love you,
Mommy

8 comments:

  1. this is so right on. i feel the same way. just told my husband last night that I'm secretly going to miss her sleeping in the bed with us . well said!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE your blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) very sweet. When something feels like it's fading, I just want to freeze every last moment, just so it lasts a few seconds longer in memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, happy birthday to TIH!

    I'm going through something similar, and last night I had an opportunity to let her sleep by herself - which is what I thought I wanted for so long - and I found I missed her just *thinking* about it. Like you, I decided that was okay. Whose standards are we trying to live up to, anyway, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's perfectly okay in my book! I've got a seven month old and we're still co-sleeping at least part of most nights, something I never thought I'd do! Congrats on your baby's birthday...because no matter how old they get, they'll always be our babies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so easy to get caught up in all the shouldn'ts. I'm so glad you're concentrating on the important things! You make me feel better about rocking my 15-month-old nightly :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking about it, and I'm so glad Emily pointed me to your blog!

    I wanted to let you know that I’ve nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award. Check and it out and impress your readers with your favorite cartoon character! (You'll see)

    http://snacksformax.wordpress.com/2012/07/24/liebster-blog-award-nomination-wow-thanks-3/
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is totally our oldest. Now 3, we don't rock her because she's no longer in a crib. But up to that very last day she was in a crib, we rocked her to sleep. Now my husband has to lay next to her in her bed.

    It definitely depends on the child! My youngest I was sure I'd have to do the same. I'd try to leave her and "cry it out". After 8 minutes I could never take another second. But somewhere around 10 months, she just went to sleep after I put her in the crib awake.

    But I agree, one day you will miss it so just embrace it!

    http://noplainjanehere.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Pin me!