Tuesday, July 22, 2014

I know this much is true...

Photo credit: Rosser Photography
As a first-time (and hopefully to someday be, second-time) mom, I'm frequently weighed down by the overwhelming amount of lessons I am responsible to teach to my son.  So, I recently started writing down the ones that were really important to me.  I imagine this list will continue to grow.  And perhaps, the things that I find to be super important right now, won't be the things I emphasize when TIH is much older...but for now...these are the things I really want my child to know.

Wear sunscreen.  Wear a helmet.  Wear your seatbelt.  Look both ways before crossing the street.  Don't run on the pool deck.

Among the rudest things you can tell a person is that they look "tired."

Don't yuck anyone else's yum.  This is a lesson that starts in our house with food and goes all the way up to someone's religion.

That being said, it really is okay to disagree with someone. And if someone makes you feel bad about your disagreement, it's probably more about them than you.

I truly think you can say almost anything you need to say if you can be kind with your words.

You should always, always, always try to be kind with your words.

In practically every situation, you should respect the word "no" and the people who use it.  Expect the same from the people you surround yourself with.

Validation does not mean agreement.  You don't have to agree with anyone, but you should validate their reality at every step.

You will learn more if you are friends with people who are different from you.

Be yourself.  It is better to be hated for something you are than loved for something you're not.

Food nourishes the body, mind, and soul.  Eat well.

You are no better than any other person on this planet.

If it's "elite," you probably don't want to be a part of it.

The uncomfortable conversation you avoid having by not expressing anger directly is far less painful than letting that anger eat you alive.

Class is about making people feel comfortable around you. Class is an attribute that should never be assigned to material things.

Be nice to your server.  To the clerk at the grocery store.  To the barista at Starbucks.  To everyone you meet.  Treat others not just how you want to be treated - treat them even better than that.

Some of the most important words to have in your vocabulary:  Please.  Thank you.  Excuse me.  You're right, I'm wrong. I'm sorry.

Do something that scares you every once in awhile.  Don't enjoy life from the sidelines.  But, if something feels wrong or scary or like a bad idea in your gut - listen to that little voice.

We hope to be lucky enough to get you gifts for every Christmas, for birthdays, and sometimes gifts "just because."  We really hope you enjoy them, but I truly hope you remember and cherish more about those special days than the gifts.  Those occasions are not about the presents.

Believe in something.  I sure hope it's God, but even if it isn't, I hope you believe in whatever it is with all of your heart.

Don't litter.  Recycle.  Carpool.  Prevent forest fires.  Leave the planet better than you found it.

Be generous with what you are given and with what you earn.

Never underestimate the power of a sincerely written "thank you" note.  Gratitude is an incredibly important (and often underrated) virtue.

Love is love.

That's all I have for now.  Love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin me!