Thursday, December 9, 2010

I'm missing the moments as they pass...

Can I start by saying, where the HELL did this year go?

Today is our annual Christmas luncheon at work.  The food is actually pretty awesome usually.  And every December when it comes around, I am a little sad when the luncheon is over.  I don't know why.  I just am.  And yet, this year it seems like it was only yesterday that I was sitting around a table with my closest co-workers, sipping decaf since I had just come out of the mommy closet and announced to everyone that I was pregnant.

When did it all start going so fast?

When did I begin to so expertly change a diaper that I almost don't even know I'm doing it anymore?  Such a far cry from the first diaper change which involved 4 diapers, an entire package of wipes, and several wet wash cloths as well as a full sized bath towel.  (I'm not even kidding.)

When did my little man go from being that helpless little thing we strapped into that huge car seat to being a kid who rolls over like he's been doing it all his life?

When did preparing food and feeding it with a spoon become so foreign to me and when did breastfeeding became like second nature? (I, for one, NEVER thought that would happen.)

When did I start hoisting a basket of laundry in one arm and the baby in the other and managing both instead of the way I used to clutch him to me with both hands as if he would break?  (And when did I start being able to actually do laundry again?)

When did my entire neighborhood get together and decide that they were ALL going to have Christmas decorations on their houses before the first week in December?  (I haven't even put up a wreath.  Hell, I don't even know where our Christmas decorations are.  Last year at this time, I spent a large portion of my day dry heaving into the toilet.)

When did I stop making lists and lists of things I want for Christmas and instead begin to really relish the thought of just sitting by a fire with my family?

When did it get so damn cold?  Did fall even happen?

When did I stop planning my night around getting stupid drunk on New Years Eve?

And for that matter, when did I start falling asleep before midnight EVERY year?

When did I turn twenty-seven?  (Monday, for those that don't know.  But, yeah.  27.  It's so...grown up.)

When did I become a grown-up?



No wonder I always feel like there aren't enough hours in the day.  Look at how fast those hours fly.

2 comments:

Pin me!