Thursday, November 29, 2012

This is the sound of settling...

Readers, I have no words.
(Obviously, my last post was at the beginning of October.)

I'm terribly sorry for the extended and unexpected hiatus.
(I'm beginning to think that my blog would be the number one search result if you Googled the phrase above.)

Parenthetical jokes aside, I am sorry that I haven't been posting.  Quite honestly, this blog is where I go to feel connected to the world, to my mind, to my love of writing, and to my identity as a mother.

But, I just haven't had time.
My new job is absolutely incredible and I am doing work that makes my brain hurt at the end of the day, it is so challenging.  It also requires me to have a less black and white schedule of when my day ends and begins.  It also does not afford me an hour-long lunch break where I can surf the web and write and read blogs.  (Yes, there is my confession.  That is how I was able to keep a blog before.  Judge away.  They can't fire me now.)

In my new job, I spend my 20(ish)-minute lunch break wolfing down food (so fast today my throat actually hurts) and planning my next sessions for the day.  If you know me, you know that I am loving this and not at all complaining.

It just doesn't leave a whole lot of time for blog love.
And don't even get me started on my house.  In less than a week we will hit the two-month mark of our move to Chicago.

I still have boxes (some unopened) sitting in every room of the house.  Not a SINGLE picture has been hung,  And, only last week we bought hardware to do so.

I had the pleasure of meeting up with my friend Paige for an amazing adventure through the city which involved me relying on public transit for the first time in my entire life (a feat that made me feel as though I had split the atom, I was so proud.)  While she led me through adorable neighborhoods and funky shops, I came across the most amazing book which will hopefully one day serve as the inspiration for a new format for New Mom on the Blog.

Funny, I thought I had written this book already.
For now, the only reformatting needs to happen here at home, in my music therapy practice, and in the way I manage my time (obviously.)



I'm back on the blog today because today is the two-year anniversary of New Mom on the Blog.  My goal was to write more this year than last year.  FAIL.  My goal was to have a whole new layout and design.  FAIL.  My other goal was to not suck so wholeheartedly at blogging.  FAIL again.

But, again, I am eternally thankful to those of you who keep coming back to see what's going on with me.  And those who still mention my blog and call me a writer (even though that would imply that I actually write something here more than once a month.)

Thank you all for your support this year as we made some pretty major changes and I went through some very difficult emotions.  This felt like a safe place to express my feelings on a move and a time period which was unendingly trying - but worth every single second now that I'm on this side of things.

I love our house and our life here and I'm finding little bits of home all over this great city.

I share a desk space with a guy who is also a Cardinals fan.  We redecorated our office, obviously.
Told you all I would never become a Cubs fan.
I can't wait to tell you more about it.
For now, I'm just going to let the dust settle and be content with the nothingness that stretches out in front of us.



I promise to try to do some more writing before the end of the year.  For now, I should probably try to hang some pictures on the walls to show the world, we're here to stay.

1 comment:

Pin me!