Monday, October 28, 2013

Messing around the kitchen like a busy bee...

Today, I'm excited to present to you the first recipe I ever developed completely on my own.  It used to be one of the few things I could successfully cook in the kitchen.  We had it the other night as part of our meal plan and we realized it had been over a year since the last time we had it.  That seems impossible since we used to have it weekly.  I typed it up once so I wouldn't forget what I did, and now the page looks like this:


You know you love a recipe when it looks like this.
Also, you know that I choose to stick my lemon stickers on my recipe instead of walking to the garbage.

My husband and I are HUGE fans of the flavor of all lemon.  I like lemon as a seasoning more than I like salt.  And I LOVE salt.

Beauties.

If you love lemon, you're going to love this recipe as well.  So, gather your ingredients and get ready...


{Lemon Caper Chicken & Cous Cous}

Ingredients

1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
3 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 tsp. of minced garlic
1 cup of chicken broth (I used free-range, low sodium this time.  It was great!)
1/2 cup of white wine (May omit entirely or sub more chicken broth, I've done both.)
1/3 cup of fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
1/2 cup of sliced green onion (The amount doesn't really matter here.  Just eyeball it.)
1 package of Roasted Garlic & Olive Oil Cous Cous (I mine from Aldi and it's awesome.)
1 tablespoon of capers (coarsely chopped)
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions

- Heat olive oil & garlic in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.  Add chicken; saute until golden and no longer pink inside.


- Use the time it takes to cook the chicken to prepare your other ingredients.

Delicious capers ready to be chopped.
- When chicken is no longer pink, add broth, lemon juice, capers, white wine, green onion, and the contents of the spice sack that comes with the cous cous to your skillet.  Stir that mixture together and bring it to a boil.


- Once you've got a good boil going, stir in your cous cous, cover, and remove the skillet from heat.  Let it stand for 5 minutes.

It will look a little soupy at first and that's okay.  It really will only take 5 minutes to absorb.  Cooking magic.
- Toss your cous cous mixture with a fork and serve in bowls.  We love this with steamed asparagus on the side.  It tastes even more delicious as leftovers the next day.

Yeah, buddy.
Enjoy!  If you try it out, make sure you let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin me!