Wednesday, August 10, 2011

All about chemistry...

When I was pregnant, I spent a lot of time worrying about what I could/could not eat and what I could/could not do.  I also spent a lot of time worrying that I would wear down the patience of the saintly nurses at my OB's office.  Often, I went without things like over-the-counter medicines, lunch meats, and seat warmers because I was so, so frightened that I would somehow harm the baby and I just wasn't sure where to get the good info (without calling my OB in the middle of the night.)

Little did I know, there was an INCREDIBLE blog devoted to that. very. purpose.

Amy of Pregnant Chicken has cornered the market (if there is such a market) on everything you need to know QUICKLY about pregnancy and newborns.  From placenta encapsulation to home birth, she has covered it all and always manages to do it in such a balanced way.  Her ability to do this while often being HILARIOUS makes her one of my blogging idols.  So when she asked me if I would ever like to guest post...I JUMPED at the opportunity.

Guess what I talked about?  Yeah.  Breastfeeding.  Again.
(And strangely enough it I wrote it and sent it to her long before this post.)

So, please go check it out here. 

Also, if you haven't already add her website to your bookmarks for all of those urgent pregnancy questions.  Or to read about whether or not you can play in a bouncy castle while you're pregnant.
'Cause well...you never know.

8 comments:

  1. Congrats! I love PC!

    Julie
    ilikebeerandbabies.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this post on Pregnant Chicken and it is well-written, entertaining, witty and real. All of the things that inspire me to follow a blog, I'll certainly come back here for more. I PLAN on being pregnant this month (it's a long story, stop by my blog if you're interested, yes, advanced science is also involved in my case) and I read about breast feeding (and cloth diapering, it's a secret obsession) a lot! I do notice how preachy and pushy people can be. I also cringe when I hear someone ask an expectant mom, "Are you planning on nursing?" Unless she's your BFF and you plan on supporting her during the process, then it's likely none of anyone's business.

    My favorite part of your post:
    " if you decide it isn't for you, or if something else happens where you aren't able to continue with breast feeding, you need to pour yourself a gigantic glass of wine, and pat yourself on the back for trying. Also? You are going to have a happy, loved baby and you're going to enjoy every minute of it."

    Bravo! I LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Newest Mom on the Blog fanAugust 10, 2011 at 11:29 AM

    Even though I am admittedly jealous you can get by with 1-2 pumping sessions while working (as I have to squeeze in 3 during the work day and still pump once at night just to keep up), this post was totally awesomesauce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Julie - Thanks so much. I am having a BEAR of a time getting your posts to show up your blog and I miss it so much. Sorry for my lack of commentage.

    @gatormommy - Amen, sister. It lasts waaaaay longer than childbirth too! Glad I could make you laugh. :)

    @Lacie - Welcome and GOOD LUCK to you on your journey of gettin' knoced up (sorry, that was crass.) Cloth diapering is another great debate in parenting (though I often find the passionate ones are often the same ones who are passionate about breast feeding and all other areas about parenting.) No stranger should EVER ask you about your breasts. Ever. Thank you so much for stopping by and for your comment. And, good luck again!

    @Newest Mom on the Blog fan - You are working so HARD at this breast feeding/pumping thing. You go, mama! YOU are awesomesauce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post! Love it. Thanks for giving us breast-feeding moms (and cloth-diapering ones, too) a voice that isn't so myopic and condescending.

    There's a phrase in the hiking community - "hike your own hike" and I think there should be one in the mommy community - "baby your own baby." Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. as a 'hopes to breastfeed' soon to be mom, who completely rejected my own mother's breast reducing her to a sobbing mess who was actually yelled at by the local head of the la leche league... i really really appreciate your post on pregnant chicken. huzzah! i will now have to keep an eye on your blog since you seem not-crazy (or at least crazy in a way i can appreciate).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too read your post through Pregnant Chicken (and have now bookmarked your site! Love it!) The timing on this could not have been better for me. I literally just came from the pumping room at work and read this on my lunch break. Second week back to work and it hard on so many levels. Remembering to pump while still trying to keep up with my workload is not easy. Looking at the clock and gasping when 5 hours have gone by and I didn't fit in a "session". Fearing that I'll lose my supply. Oh man. Also, my baby JUST finally worked past the need to use the nipple shield at 13 weeks. Reading that part of your post made me feel so much better. Thank you for putting words to exactly what I feel like my life has been for the past three months! I'm hooked. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so wish I could have read this back in May when I was feeling like the biggest failure even though I knew that I wasn't. Nipple shield led to diminished supply and feeding her 20 hours (not an exaggeration) out of the day and her losing a dangerous amount of weight. Fast forward 3 months (past numerous lactation consultation, cranial sacral therapy for both me and LO) and I am pumping exclusively AND still being judged. . Glad to have found your blog, looking forward to sharing it with my Psy of Women students.

    ReplyDelete

Pin me!